MONDAY THE VERY GREEN SOUP – Some contents from my fridge
Do you ever look at the contents of your fridge and wonder quite what to do with them??
Well after a frivolous Waitrose shop i found myself purchasing all sorts of nonsense foods that I really didn’t need. Being a single and living by myself (*she cries*), the 2 large tubs of full fat Philadelphia were massively unnecessary when essentially in my head and online, I am on weight watchers.
Oh and I purchased the largest bag of spinach. So in order to use up some of the contents of my fridge I threw together this soup and it was simply quite delicious.
Its healthy except for the Philadelphia. So if you are really truly on a diet I would use soy cream or low fat creme fraiche as an alternative.
THE VERY GREEN SOUP
Lettuce, Spinach, Broccoli and Sweet Potato
- Serves 4-6
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small chilli, sliced (omit if you don’t like heat)
- 1 small head of broccoli, roughly chopped woody stem removed
- 1 medium iceberg lettuce, core removed, roughly chopped
- 1 large bag of spinach leaves, washed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 – 1 1/2 liters Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon of Philadelphia
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Over a medium heat place a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Add about two tablespoons of olive oil and allow to heat up.
- When ready add in the onion, garlic and chili. Sweat for two to three minutes.
- Add in the lettuce and stir.
- Now add the spinach in handfuls, adding more after each handful has wilted down till it is all in the pan.
- Add in the broccoli and sweet potato.
- Cook all together for around 5 minutes and then top with the vegetable/ chicken stock.
- Make sure that all the ingredients are submerged.
- Allow to soup to simmer for20-30 minutes. Do not let it boil.
- Finally take it off the heat and allow to cool.
- Before blending stir through the cream cheese or alternative.
- Either serve immediately or refrigerate.
- This soup works well being frozen as well.