MY JEW-ISH GARLIC CHILI AND ROSEMARY OIL
I always have this oil in my cooking collection. It encapsulates all the flavours I think represent the core of Mediterranean cooking, which I often find is my go to cuisine.
This oil will transform some of the most basic dishes into flavor sensations. I don’t think that you need the most top notch oil for this, but you do need to make sure that it is a solid middle of the range olive oil. I buy my olive oil from Aldi. (My favourite supermarket, you will find a high -quality product at a rather reasonable price)
It will take only 15 minutes or less to prepare and will in turn reward you with an oil that over times infuses all the flavours. Be warned they will get stronger as the oil sits, with the chili and after three months you should strain the oil so that the ingredients with-in don’t go off.
Drizzled over pasta, for the base of vinaigrettes, finishing off meat or fish you will find this oil invaluable as a condiment in your kitchen and cheaper to make than buy at any supermarket.
- 1/2 Litre of olive oil
- 1 Large garlic bulb, slice in half
- 2 Tbsp red chili pepper flakes, 2 dried chili flakes
- 2 Sprigs of rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Place all the ingredients over a low heat in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Bring the oil to a gentle simmer.
- Turn the heat down and allow to cool.
- Take out the larger ingredients such as, garlic, rosemary and chili and place in already prepared sterile jars.
- Carefully or using a funnel, pour in the oil.
- Seal the jar and allow to seep, the garlic and chili will strengthen over time.
- After three months, sift the oil and remove the ingredients. This will allow the oil to last for even longer, months and months.
I purchased this jar on group on as an offer, but any jar with a wide neck will be ideal for the oil to decant into. http://www.poshrosh.co.uk/ProductsInfo.aspx?pId=205500&pType=Product&gclid=COL7o-C877oCFYgKwwodOGwA3g