MINI EGG MARSHMALLOW CHOCOLATE CORNFLAKE CAKES
Of course, because I am Jew-ish, doesn’t mean I can’t fully enjoy other festive foods. And being a self-confessed chocoholic, Easter eggs in any form are my nemesis, let alone Cadbury’s mini eggs. These are my GO – TO chocolates. Forgot all that fancy fair trade stuff – my day is complete with a bag of these chocolate morsels.
But since I first saw mini eggs appear in the shop in January, I couldn’t help myself. I mean Easter isn’t even upon us or the Passover because these festivals tend to fall in late March, early April. So with around twelve weeks of eating these treats I found myself creating these cakes in January.
I like using two types of chocolate, cheap and expensive so you can get the best of both worlds and for me the icing is the mini eggs. This is a quick recipe; you should be able to prepare these in under thirty min. You’ll find that you’ll be whipping up the next batch immediately. Also, this perfect to prepare in the kitchen if you have little kiddies. I used to remember making these with my mum and always wanting to lick the spoon and then the bowl and anything else covered in chocolate.
- 112g/4oz milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 141g/ 5oz dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2oz Mini Marshmallows
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g/2oz butter
- 75g/3oz cornflakes
- 36 mini chocolate mini eggs
- Using heavy duty fairy paper cakes line a 12-hole fairy cake tin.
- Now over a medium heat, place a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Not letting the base of the bowl tough the water. Place the chocolate, golden syrup and butter into the bowl and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and gently stir in the cornflakes until all of the cereal is coated in the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to melt before finally adding the marshmallows. If you add them when the mixture is hot they will dissolve.
- Now carefully fill your cases, allowing the mixture to be divided amongst the 12 cases equally. Then carefully place three mini eggs on top.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and press 3 chocolate eggs into the centre of each nest. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour, or until completely set. Place in the fridge and when set they are ready to eat.