LEEK POTATO COURGETTE & PARSLEY SOUP
I love making soups, especially when you can add a simple twist to a classic. I added these extra ingredients since they were in desperate need of being used up. This is really a throw all into one pot experience, with very little chopping required and I think the courgette adds that extra smoothness, while the parsley just adds that extra tang. I also finished it with some chives as I have a large amount growing in a pot on my patio.
Makes enough for between 6-8 as a starter
- 1 -2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large leeks, trimmed and roughly sliced
- 1 large potato, roughly chopped
- Three courgettes, trimmed and roughly sliced
- Large handful of curly parsley, stalks removed
- 1.5 – 2 litres of chicken or veg stock
- Medium bunch of chopped Chives
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL – 100ml milk or soy cream
- Place a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the garlic, leeks, potato and courgettes. Saute off for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are gently softened and even take on a light brown colour.
- Next add the stock, parsley, salt and pepper and allow to simmer for around 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. You may not need all the stock, just enough to cover the vegetables.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool down, before blending until smooth. Place back in a saucepan or container and taste for seasoning, adjust until perfectly balanced. If you want at this point add the cream or milk, i like to add it to add that extra bit of creaminess.
- Roughly chopped the chives and mix through. Serve immediately, freeze or place it in the fridge for up to 5 days.