It’s Sunday evening; you can barely be bothered to get off the sofa let alone leave the house to visit the local supermarket. But you want a delicious snack and just can’t justify ordering another takeaway so these are the perfect quickie, snack dinner that can make even the most basic cook look like a whizz in the kitchen in under 30 minutes.
I used frozen corn, but I think that tinned or of course fresh packs offers a more intense sweetcorn flavour (frozen is OK). If you have a spice cupboard, I think you could experiment and add ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, etc. Whatever’s your favourite, my goto is paprika.
I love sweet chili sauce, but these fritters need something to dip into … sweet chili is quick but if not I would suggest a mayo siarcha or a salsa.
- 60g plain flour
- 10g corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Medium egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 150ml milk (or a little more for a thinner consistency)
- 198g Tinned or frozen sweetcorn kernels
- Sea salt and Cracked black pepper
- Small handful of chopped chives or parsley.
- Vegetable or flavourless oil for frying
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Place the flour, egg, milk, salt and pepper and paprika in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Add the corn, salt pepper and herbs and mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a heavy bottomed frying pan, add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Now in batches of around 3 – 4 (depending on the size of your pan) Cook on one side for around 3-4 minutes until brown and set. They will bubble round the edges.
- Flip and cook on the other-side for again 3 – 4 minutes.
- You can keep them in the oven warm until you have finished cooking all the batter.
- Serve immediately, scatter with salt and chives.
- Drizzle with sweet chili sauce, or serve on the side.